110 years of history is something special.
The partnership of Wood Mitchell was formed in 1901, the dawn of the twentieth century was a time of change. The funeral of Queen Victoria took place in London and King Edward VII opened his first parliament, oil was discovered in Texas and William McKinley began his second term as US President as Theodore Roosevelt was sworn in as Vice President.
The founding partners were James Wood, who had been a salesman for another Stoke-on-Trent printers, John Brunt, Henry Brunt and Herbert Mitchell, a headmaster. The business was started at Oriel Works, Park Street, Hanley as Lithographic, Letterpress and Bookbinding Printers. These premises, built in 1886, were sold to the new partnership in 1901 by a branch of Bemrose and Sons of Derby and London.